Good afternoon. blogLSP is back, and it's better than ever. This post alone, I have lined up for you an introduction to some new features and two Doctor Who reviews! O.K., so allons-y, first up, LSP is getting a myspace. It will help me to get new readers, and get a better relationship with the ones I already have. The only reason I haven't made it yet is because I'm a busy busy guy. I have a new sponsor because Stylux were being little so and sos about my methods of promotion. My new sponsor is comp-forums.blogspot.com, also run by a guy on his own, so don't let the dude tell you otherwise. Anyway, let's crack on with the review of "The Unicorn and the Wasp"- better than I had anticipated.
4.7 THE UNICORN AND THE WASP.
*****
RUNNING TIME: 45 mins approx. STARS: David Tennant, Catherine Tate, Fenella Woolgar

IN A NUTSHELL:
What a rather surprisingly fantastic episode! Initially, when I discovered that the episode was to be a comedy written by the same writer as 3.2, I was not, pardon the pun, amused. Comedy Doctor Whos are not usually very funny. Usually just the Doctor doing a lot of silly voices and making silly jokes, but this was different. It was a comedy Doctor Who like I've never seen one before. L...O...L.
MY HUMBLE OPINION:
Well, well, well- the third writer to appear in new Doctor Who... on a comedy. Charles Dickens worked, Shakespeare didn't. You just can't do Shakespeare. Especially when played by a Mancunian. He looked like he'd been pulled straight out of the Happy Mondays to be perfectly honest. However, Agatha Christie was in a different league all together. A friend of mine actually described this episode as being "like the best Doctor Who ever." I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely up there in the best of Series Four. The use of Cluedo characters was funny without being silly, and the humour was O.K. because it was the type of humour where the characters don't know they're funny, like in a sit-com. Catherine Tate's acting was, like in previous episodes, exceptionally good, and I am starting to question whether she is better than Billie Piper was when she was Rose. She's most definitely been a stronger character so far- I can see that only from Episode 7. There wasn't much action, but that totally fitted the episode.
Moving on to 4.8, can I say that this is the best episode of Series Four so far. Here we go- it's Silence in the Library, ladies and gentlemen:
4.8/4.9 SILENCE IN THE LIBRARY/FOREST OF THE DEAD
*****
RUNNING TIME: 190 mins approx. STARS: David Tennant, Catherine Tate, Alex Kingston, Colin Salmon.
IN A NUTSHELL:
I was tempted to give this story six stars. It is yet another masterpiece from the genius that is Steven Moffatt. The character of River was portrayed beautifully by Kingston and she is a character that I can't wait to see again. Like I say always, great acting from both Tate and Tennant.

MY HUMBLE OPINION:
Well, well, well- I'm now even more excited about Moffatt taking over from Russy Wussy. He's written THE best episodes in modern Doctor Who, including Blink and The Empty Child. His monsters are always the best because he deals with everyday things and makes them scary- children searching for their mummies, statues, and now the most ordinary of all- shadows. His stories are much more complex than Wusssell's and to put it plainly, he rocks-my-socks.
The concept of river is oh so very interesting- a companion from the future, who knows the Doctor's name! I'm starting to think she'll end up being a Danielle Rousseau-style character, who pops up every now and again when you've forgotten about her. She may turn up in the Series finale, she may not. I'm not so sure, but I think that Jenny definitely will. It will be a missed opportunity if she does not. 8.8 left us with almost as much ambiguity as LOST, but unlike LOST, 8.9 solved it all, piece by piece.
The one word I would use to describe this would be "phenomenal", which is a word I use very sparsely. Just fantastic.
Anyway, bye for now. To chat about the LOST series finale, just log on to my lost-theories account. And I hope to be seeing you very soon indeed. That's all folks.
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment