Good afternoon. Sorry I keep having to double-up on the reviews- I have NO time on my hands. So much to do- no time to do it, eh? Well, anyway, you're due two reviews- Midnight, and Turn Left. So, first up, is Midnight...
4.10 MIDNIGHT
*****
RUNNING TIME: 45 mins approx. STARS: David Tennant, Catherine Tate, David Troughton.
IN A NUTSHELL:
This is a Marmite episode- you either love it or you hate it. A friend of mine described it as the "cr*ppiest episode ever", but her opinion doesn't matter. I'm here to give my opinion;
MY HUMBLE OPINION:
I can understand why this episode wouldn't appeal to some. There was no huge flying saucers, or Daleks, or colossal monsters, or Bad Wolves, or explosions; it was understated and rather emotional. That was what another friend said when we were chatting about the episode. She asked me when I was doing a review of Midnight, and then proceeded to give me her opinion. Get a blog, woman!
Anyway, back to the review (sorry about that little tantrum there). The lack of Donna was unfortunate, though it did allow Wussell to do more with the Doctor than he could have done if Donna was present. Sitting sunbathing indoors is such a Donnaish thing to do.
I've given it four stars instead of five because the characters were characatures. Jethro was stereo-typical teenage and the Professor guy was stereo-typical Scientist. Those parents were just boring, now, weren't they?! It was a bit too cheesy and camp (Oh-I've just described Russell T Davies).
Also, it had "episode-before-the-finale" syndrome in that every proper fan was urging it to be next week and waiting patiently for the next time preview. It's something we all do.
The next review is for Turn Left- a great episode.
4.11 TURN LEFT
RUNNING TIME: 45 mins. approx. STARS: David Tennant, Catherine Tate, Billlie Piper, Bernard Cribbins, Bad Wolf
IN A NUTSHELL:
Fantastic episode that proved that "What if?" is a terrifying question. Donna turned right rather than left, and it caused utter catastrophe (both with characters dying and the chronology, but we won't even go into that).
MY HUMBLE OPINION:
I thought that Turn Left was brilliant. Eyes were rolled as I chanted the production code of each episode referenced as the episode went on. You could tell that my family thought I was very sad. Rose's return was rather spectacular, but has Billie Piper had some more lip surgery since the last time we saw her because her lips were massive and she had a lisp! And what is it with those coloured jackets- Martha had a red one, Rose a blue. I tell you what- that costume department can't get enough of the good ol' brightly coloured jackets!
In parts, it reminded me of 3.13 in that it focused on this bleak world in times of crisis.
I think that Bernard Cribbins's character, Wilf, is outstanding and should serve as a long term companion. It'd be good to have an old fogey in the TARDIS.
Overall, this was a great episode and I quite honestly don't have much more to say about it, just watch out for those two words...
The title of next episode has been revealed to be "The Stolen Earth" and some more characters have been confirmed to return. Jackie, Mickey, Gwen, Ianto and Harriet Jones are definitely returning, and the rumour is very strong on Davros. I'm well excited. That's all, folks.
xxx

No comments:
Post a Comment