Friday, December 28, 2007

Voyage of the Damned: LSP's verdict

Christmas is stressful. Christmas is incredibly stressful, so I haven't posted for a while. I would call this forgivable, yes? Nevertheless, virtually since I started this blog I've been counting down to Doctor Who's 4.X. Inevitably, i'm going to do some sort of review of the episode.
I thought it was at least as good as 2005's The Christmas Invasion (the drama factor, the humour, festivity etc.) All three christmas specials have been of a similair nature- the beginning of an era as such.

2.X THE CHRISTMAS INVASION:
The reason that this is the beginning of an era for the programme is plainly obvious- it is David Tennant's first major appearance (this is excluding CiN and his cameo appearance in 1.13). He made a fantastic start, despite only being actively involved for just over half the episode! His banter with the confused Sycorax leader reflects Tennant's witty eccentricity very well, I think. A great plot device in this episode was the Sycorax ash appearing to be snow....

3.X THE RUNAWAY BRIDE:
A very dissapointing start to Series Three. Donna Noble belonged in a sketch of the Catherine Tate show and Tennant's performance was fit only for a frankly rubbish spoof. As for the Racnoss........

However, the point still stands that the special of 2006 was the beginning of an era. An era without Rose and with a light- hearted comedienne in her place! The "snow" device was once again used and one question comes into view- What's the likelihood of the Doctor visiting Earth at consecutive christmas' so often? And can Russell afford to do this again?

The answer to the latter is no........

4.X VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED:
......so he tried something else. He attempted and succeeded in taking the mickey of himself. A very clever story, Voyage of the Damned sees the population of London flee to the country in fear of another alien invasion. They feel now that the 25th of December is jinxed. All but the minority are hiding away from their homes. The minority include the Queen (who makes a cameo appearance) and a newspaper salesman. I doubt he'll sell many papers! You will also notice that i've commented on the "snow" device on the write-up for each episode. This is because although an invasion never ocurred, the "snow" device still managed to make it's way into the plot......accompanied by an in-joke stating that one day there'll be real snow. Looking at the lack of white christmas' in the UK lately, I think we're more likely to get Sycorax ash than the real thing!
A number of other lines were also added, admitting the clear "nearly" plot-hole. The Doctor's "my christmas' are always like this" I found particulairly amusing.

As for Kylie, you go girl! Not only did you succeed in being a great companion, but you managed to snog a Time Lord, get engaged to Bannakafalatta and turn yourself into atoms all in one episode! However, I think Russell did right in killing off Peth. The Doctor was far too in love with her for her to be long-term companion material. And besides, like the Doctor, she also has two hearts! (pun intended entirely).

More geeky fandom next time on blogLSP! And I should know because......

No comments: