As you can see from the lazy title, I have a rather apathetic attitude to almost everything this morning. After a day trip to the other side of the UK to see a west end production and a 10 hour journey there and back, I'm frankly not feeling great. Nevertheless, I'm still happy to blog about the fact that there's now only 9 days to wait until Voyage of the Damned is broadcast on BBC ONE. The fact that I haven't yet purchased any christmas gifts is a whole different topic!
The one thing I did want to mention was a website named www.baddesigns.com. It is debatable whether the articles on the site actually have legitimate ground for publication on the internet!
Here is an example of an article on the website;
How do you open the refrigerator?
At my new job there is a refrigerator where employees put their lunches. The first time I tried to open the refrigerator I didn't see a handle on the front, but I found one on the left side of the door. (See arrow.) I pulled on the handle, but the door would not open. I thought maybe the refrigerator door had a really strong seal, so I pulled harder. I pulled so hard the whole refrigerator started moving! Someone standing nearby told me, "It opens from the other side. I had the same problem when I first tried to open it."
I looked on the right side of the refrigerator and sure enough, there was a handle there too! When I pulled on that handle, the refrigerator door opened easily.
Apparently, the refrigerator door was designed so it could be hinged on either the left or the right side. Thus, handles were put on both sides. However, people only expect to see one handle on a refrigerator door. When the handle doesn't work, they assume the door is stuck or locked.
Design suggestion It would be best to put a handle on the front of a refrigerator door so that it can be easily seen. On a reversible door with handles on both sides of the door, there should be a way of removing or concealing the handle on the hinged side. There should not be visible handles on both sides!
Okay, so let's annotate it. This is a typical example of a point of the web designer. So I ask several critical questions-
1.) Is this really a bad design?
2.) Would it be more trouble than it's worth to put a handle on the front of the fridge?
3.) Why has this dude bothered to put this garbage on the net at all?
So, question one- it is a matter of long tedious debate to whether this is actually a bad design. I have never heard of a fridge designed this way. All the fridges that I have ever encountered have had handles on the front or top of the unit. However, to me this seems like quite a good idea. It might be easier from kitchen to kitchen to have the door open one way or another. If the fridge opened the way he had expected, this may be inconvenient for the user and the fridge would appear on his website for a different reason, with a title like-
"The Refridgerator door hits the cupboard when I open it!"
Thus it is better for the fridge to be designed this way so that it can be hinged on the more convenient side. And anyway, once you've worked out how to open it once, you're not going to have the same problem again, so does it really matter?!
Question three is my main query- why take part in such a totally sad and pointless excercise as this? He clearly has nothing else to do with his time.
LSP lord- the one, the only, and the best!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmmm, bad designs eh.
How about this argument about poor design:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design
Post a Comment