Friday, August 1, 2008

Cirque Unearthly Knight Wars.

Good afternoon. Sorry that I haven't posted for a while. I'm going to make up for it with a couple of reviews and exciting things (hence the obscure title). First of all, I've recently watched the first ever Doctor Who serial, An Unearthly Child and would like to review that for you. So, here goes:

A AN UNEARTHLY CHILD
*****
RUNNING TIME: 100 mins approx. STARS: William Hartnell, Carole Ann Ford, William Russell, Jacqueline Hill.

IN A NUTSHELL:
A lovely start to Doctor Who, if dragged out a little. And have I ever mentioned my dislike to the First Doctor before, because now might be a good time?

MY HUMBLE OPINION:
Don't get me wrong, you can tell that this episode is from the '60s, but it's aged well, probably due to the fact that the majority of it is set in the prehistoric ages. But, anyhow, although there's some '60s melodrama in there, it is a decent story.
Ian, Barbara and Susan were a good choice of companions to kick off the series- it could have just as easily have been kicked off with Leela, considering the circumstances, but it wouldn't have been the same show. The audience needs somebody like them- somebody that they can relate to- it was the same with Rose in 2005.
The latter episodes, after the first, focus on battling tribes in 100, 000 B.C., a strange, yet compelling start. These episodes follow the Doctor and his companions being captured, then escaping, then being captured again, eccetera, something that went on for a little too long.
I would like to say that the First Doctor had a promising start, but unfortunately I cannot. If that grumpy old so-and-so that kidnaps innocent schoolteachers and contemplates murdering sick cavemen is my Doctor, then my name's Michael Jackson. He's changed so much for the better. And I like him as he is now. He's fresh. I guess this Doctor developed with age.
And the end of the episode is beautifully cheesy- "How's the radiation level, Susan?" "It's reading normal, Grandfather"......"DANGER!"

So, there's your first review this afternoon. Back to business, the second point is that the first picture has been released for the February Cirque Du Freak movie. Here it is, baby-

I think it's rather groovy. Click to enlarge. Willem Dafoe has also been cast as Gavner Purl.

Now, this next point has been sprung on me rather unexpectedly- the new Clone Wars movie! This little funky piece of CGI Sci-fi anime is, like the 2D TV series aired on Cartoon Network, set in-between Star Wars episodes II and III and follows the kidnap of Jabba the Hutt's son. It is released in the UK on the 15th August and is being made by Warner Bros. rather than the usual 20th century Fox. To see the trailer, visit the Internet Movie Database.

And, finally, to spectacularly close the post, we have a review of the long-awaited "The Dark Knight":

THE DARK KNIGHT
*****
RUNNING TIME: 152 mins. STARS: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman. RATING: 12A

IN A NUTSHELL:
A drastic improvement from the first in the series and an emotional scary and generally brilliant roller coaster from beginning to end. Heath Ledger was spine-chilling as the Joker and Christian Bale as good as ever as Batman. Michael Caine was great, and Morgan Freeman was the same character as usual...

MY HUMBLE OPINION:
Fantastic movie, an improvement on Batman Begins if I've ever heard of one. That first movie was a disappointment for me, so this sequel really made me feel a lot better about the future for Batman. I could go on for hours about the acting brilliance in this movie, but I won't, because I want my dinner.
The Joker was very scary. I found myself wanting to look away each time he appeared, and the only reason I didn't was because I didn't want to miss any of Ledger's performance.
A family member disliked the movie. She thought that it was trying to get cheap laughs out of gruesome death scenes, which is, although the audience did laugh, not what I think the movie was trying to achieve. There were some moments with the Joker, yes, that would make some laugh and feel guilty about it afterwards. My Dad compared the humour in the movie to Jimmy Carr, in that sometimes you shouldn't laugh, but he's funny.
(POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD)





The inclusion of Two-Face was a surprise to me, and he was a very scary character, that fitted with the plot very well indeed, again, portrayed well by the actor.
The ending was very ambitious, but I liked it, it's just what Batman's all about- he's a hero by not being a hero- beautiful.

PARENTAL GUIDANCE:
I wouldn't take any child under eight to a 12A film. But if you're wondering about content, then here it is:
This film was 15 material, but the makers were clearly scared to rate it that because it would cause much controversy. The Joker is very scary and makes reference to domestic violence and self-harming. The violence is nothing too gory, but it is suggested to be hugely horrific- the thought of some of it frightened me. There is one use of strong language.

But, anyway, for now, that's all, folks. I hope to have the Awards results soon.
xxx

No comments: